Wednesday 15 February 2012

18th Century

18th century fashion, particularly the Rococo style, is my absolute favourite type of historical clothing. For the very rich styles of that century think bright colours and lush fabrics. Paintings such as those by Gainsborough and my personal favourite Adélaïde Labille-Guiard, show some of the best examples from the later part of the century. Museums such as the Kyoto Fashion Institute and V&A also have wonderful collections of ornately decorated clothing. Here are some examples:
I started making my own 18th century clothes about a year ago. As I am a reenactor or living historian I love to know how things are made. I am currently working on a striped silk polonaise gown circa 1770. Although not quite as exciting here are some of my finished 18th century items:

1780s Hat
Silk Stays

Hoop Pockets

 Bum Roll
Embroidered Pocket


No comments:

Post a Comment