Thursday 16 February 2012

Mini Melodeon

I have always thought it would be really cool to have a Melodeon that would fit in my bag. For those that don't know, a Melodeon in is a diatonic button accordion. Put simply it works like a mouth organ, but with buttons and bellows. There are already some existing miniature Melodeons, made by for example Dino Baffetti. However although these are lovely, they do have a couple of weaknesses for my puposes.

First, I want a Melodeon that is suitable for English Folk Music and Morris Dancing, which I play the music for. This means that the key the Melodeon is in should be G, where most of the existing miniature Melodeons are in D.

Second, the existing mini boxes are in the top octave. This makes them very high pitched, which is not really to my taste.

So with this in mind I set out to build my own miniature Melodeon, and here it is:




 A few details:
The constructon is entirely in Ash wood, with the mechanism made from Ash and Brass. The Bellows are made from Card and Leather. The Reeds are Cagnoni Machina.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, gorgeous instrument!
    I always want to make such a thing..can you help me, pleasee? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes of course! Though like I say my accordion/melodeon building is still a work in progress, I can certainly answer any questions you have.

    ReplyDelete