Sunday 19 February 2012

Spanish Civil War Equipment: Canvas/Bandoliers & Grenade Belts

Today I am starting my next project, that of reproducing Spanish Civil War Militia Canvas and Leather equipment. Specifically I am making bandoliers and Grenade Belts as used by the Militia. These were seen in use particularly in the first half of the war by Militia and later by those units of the Popular army formed from old Militia columns, especially those made up of Anarchist CNT-FAI members. Here are a couple of pictures:
This picture shows members of the Durruti column (CNT-FAI supporters) early in the war. They wear bot the bandoliers and the Belts. Its hard to tell, but appears that at least the belts may have been made specifically for the Militia in the cottage industry that sprung up in the first months of the war. Its hard to tell, but I think there are 7 or 8 compartments in the bandoliers, and 6 in the Belts. For these I have some course Cotton canvas and vegtable tanned leather.
This picture is one I have posted in a previous post and shows a female dynamiter in the Militia. The belt is different to the ones above, but still follows the same basic scheme. This would support the theory that they were made as and when they were needed and not mass produced.

Anyway I will post up pictures and info during the week as I make them, and should have a finished prototype in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment